How I Fell For The Popular Colombian Scam: Street Shoe Shining

You may also like...

10 Responses

1. TooNew says:

I went today and one was trying to insist on 110,000 when he was finished (yes, you read that correctly. He even wrote it on his hand to make sure I understood.) And I only had a 50,000 bill on me. Which he took. And I’m still pi$$ed.

2. TooNew says:

I had someone today try to get 110,000 (yes, you read that right! He wrote it on his hand) from me today. AND I only had a 50k in my pocket so he took all of that. I need to get over it but I’m so pi**ed.

3. reidh says:

Your story certainly makes me want to go and live alongside of you, and get into hairy altercations that border on street crime and involve the local police, for shoe shining. It sounds exciting, and I don’t speak spanish nearly at all. What a thrill, walking through the streets and barrios all the while knowing that there are con artists standing around waiting to bilk you, if you’re carefree enough. It gives me goosebumps, and I anticipate the Day I can/could even visit such a fascinating place.

4. Amy says:

This is crazy! But it’s good that you actually realized that you were being scammed. I was also scammed during one of my travels abroad. I was literally hypnotized into giving a guy my phone and all the bills in my pocket! Good thing I only had about $100 on me then!

5. Fabian says:

I’m from Bogota and I had never heard about this scam before!

6. Brad says:

I’m sorry you and boyfriend have been victims of this scam. Once or twice a year I use the the services of the shoe shiners in front of Lourdes and have never had problems, so perhaps it depends what area of the city you have your shoes shined? That said, I only go with exactly 3.000 in my pocket. Never do I pull pesos out of my wallet in front of them.

• bogotastic says:

Hi Brad.Thanks for your message. I went around the Andino area. Typical place for getting ripped off! And yes, having the exact amount of cash to pay for the service also helps ­čÖé