4 Culture Shock Lessons of Latino Family Values

You may also like...

15 Responses

1. reidh says:

Is everyone blogging here a woman? How hard is it to have a girlfriend in Bogota ? But aside from you being considered a ramera in Bogota/Colombia, does the ultra conservative lifestyle of the average south american latinos cause you any misgivings in light of your libertarian/progressive outlook ?

2. ashley says:

I wrote to you a little while back when I first stumbled upon your blog after doing some internet searches for more info about Colombia, Colombian culture, etc after I saw that my relationship my Colombian boyfriend was progressing and becoming more serious. Since I first wrote, I have visited him/his family in Colombia. Now as I’m looking back and reading portions of your blog I’m laughing at how CORRECT you are about the experiences! #3 especially hits home. As I arrived in Colombia after a red eye flight from Houston (without getting ANY sleep on the plane) I was told I’d be immediately meeting some family… I was assuming it may be his mom and sister, but it ended up being immediately family PLUS grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, and even a few family friends. I made it work, but wow… what a way to jump into things!

3. CLARA CUERVO says:

HA, HA, HA,HA……!! VERY TRUE INDEED…!!! MY POOR JADE…, SO INDEPENDENT AND SELFSUFICIENT, OF COURSE! IS NOT EASY TO COME TO LIVE IN COLOMBIA!!. BUT FOR ONE REASON OR ANOTHER, MY SON BORN IN NEW JERSEY, AND TRAVELING TO COLOMBIA ALMOST EVERY SUMMER SINCE HE WAS TWO YRS.OLD AND NOW 39, MARRIED WITH TWO CHILDREN. BEING WITH ALL THESE PEOPLE AND FAMILY IS WHAT HE MISSES THE MOST!! AND IS SO WORRY THAT HIS CHILDREN ARE MISSING ALL THESE PLEASURES!! HE LOVES COLOMBIA LIKE, HE WILL NEVER FIGHT FOR ANY OTHER COUNTRY BUT FOR THIS ONE. AMAZING!!! <3

4. Jennifer says:

Hey cousin ! what a lovely experience are you living ! I want to know more about your columbian life ! just love the way you describe and express things, it’s like i was traveling with you ! ūüôā Love, jeni

5. Laura Alfaro says:

Nr 1 is so true! When I told my mom that me and my husband (norwegian) would like to visit one day, she said very offended that we would stay at a hotel. I have no clue how she found out (all colombian moms can read minds better than Professor Xavier from X-men), but still I remember her indignant face when she said that (all colombian moms have also the superpower of making you feel guilty as they seem fit).

Well, Frank is 197 cm tall. There is no bed in the house that has enough place for him, so it is hotel for us whether she likes it or not.

• bogotastic says:

Hahaha, I have a tall Colombian boyfriend, although not quite 197 (184) he’ll find any hole to fit in and sleep with his family.

6. Maira says:

Really enjoyed this post!! I am Colombian but live in Canada and my co-workers can’t understand why my family doesn’t stay in a hotel when we all can’t fit in a house when visiting and why we get together every weekend and such big gatherings with grand parents, aunts, uncles, cousins and more! hahah this post is totally the truth!! Great insight into our culture!

7. juan says:

on the other hand, i just pointed it out to you since you were show casing as and example of how conservative colombian society was, and this is anything but, to the contrary this law it’s as liberal as you can get

8. juan says:

i like your blog, so you know the reason that for legalities you are married after living with someone 2 years in Colombia, was done to protect women from men who did not want to get married, just live with her and dump her after few years, with nothing

• bogotastic says:

Hi Juan! Thank you for the insight! Hopefully in the 21st century a woman is able to secure her own financial situation and does need to depend on marriage for security, thus government ‘protection’ would be unnecessary.

1. November 13, 2015

[…] menu and have become a better negotiator in general as you have an idea of how much things cost. Things that shocked you at the beginning are now things you don’t even think twice about or bat an eyelash to […]

2. November 13, 2015

[…] from a different culture, it surprised me how close Latino families are. After discussing the matter with¬†a few Colombians, not all seem to agree with the close-knit […]